What happens when you pair a health-conscious, vegan mother of two who has her own diet business with a husband and children who sometimes have other ideas? This blog is a chronicle of my journey to eat and live in a life-affirming way!

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

What's for Breakfast?

My daughter had to get to school early today and, as you can see, it was early morning in the Pennington household.We are NOT, I repeat, we are NOT early risers and this pic encapsulates how we were all feeling!!!

Breakfast had to be easy this morning. Friends and clients are always asking me, "so, what do you all have for breakfast every morning?" Well, my son, Oliver is on a gluten-free diet so the kids had gluten-free bagels with almond butter and St. Dalfour's jelly and some sliced fruit

Udi's gluten-free bagel with almond butter and jelly

For those of you who are looking for more gluten-free options, these Udi's gluten-free bagels are the way to go! When my son had to go on a gluten-free diet, the thing he was most upset about missing were his bagels. Many gluten-free products taste like card board but these are delicious and even satisfy my bagel-loving boy!


Udi's bagels


You can find Udi's bagels in the freezer section at Whole Foods and many other health shops. Udi's makes delicious gluten-free muffins (the blueberry and lemon are favorites in our house,) breads (whole wheat and, even "white") and a wide variety of granolas! Whether you are eating a gluten-free diet or not, these are products to get to know!

So, what did I have for breakfast?

Laughing Giraffe's Cranberry Orange Granola

I go in waves but right now I am in my cereal kick so I had Laughing Giraffe's Cherry Ginger Granola with tons of blueberries and my homemade almond milk! Laughing Giraffe's granola are gluten-free, organic and raw. Laughing Giraffe also has a delicious Cherry Cacao Ginger cereal.

Did you know that blueberries contain the highest amount of antioxidants than any other fruit? I am writing an article for The Family Groove right now on the topic of Protecting Your Skin from Sun Damage through Your Fork and was pleasantly surprised when I came across this fact! Dr. Perricone has been advocating blueberries for antiaging for years. Luckily for me, I am almost certifiably addicted to blueberries and have them on my cereal every morning!
Another Laughing Giraffe Cereal with, of course, blueberries!

When I am not having Laughing Giraffe, another favorite is Rawnola by Earthling Organics.

Rawnola with, Of course, blueberries and homemade almond milk

Am I boring? Do you see a pattern??? Do you often have the same breakfast every morning?

When I am not having granola or another cereal, I am definately a smoothie girl. Here are some of my other favorites:

 My Chocolate Banana Smoothie is always a hit in my family and is great for breakfast or for an afternoon snack. I adore having one after a strenuous workout and it always perks the fam up to have something decadent (and still healthy!)

Chocolate Banana Smoothie
My Power Me Up Green Smoothie is always a go-to breakfast for me!

Power Me Up Green Smoothie
 Sometimes the kids get turned off by the green color, so add some frozen berries...and, viola!

Green Smoothie with Frozen Berries
Really, you can throw anything into your blender. I made this smoothie from pineapple, mango and almond milk when my son was feeling under the weather!

Pineapple and Mango Smoothie
And, finally one of my very favorite breakfasts Raw Mixed Berry Pancakes.
Raw Pancakes with Mixed Berries
I adore having these on the weekend when my husband makes the kids homemade pancakes! This way, I feel like I am participating and having something delicious and healthy!

What do you do for healthy breakfasts?

No comments:

Post a Comment