What happens when you pair a health-conscious, vegan mother of two who has her own diet business with a husband and children who sometimes have other ideas? This blog is a chronicle of my journey to eat and live in a life-affirming way!

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Union Square on a Rainy Day and a Surprise in the Mail!

Some of my favorite vendors come to Union Square in New York City on Wednesdays and Saturdays so I had planned a trip earlier in the week to go today before I knew it was going to be rainy and cold! I almost didn't go, but am so glad I did. There is something so peaceful and calming about going to the market with it is not so busy and it was nice being able to leisurely walk around.

The flower stall was what I first saw when I stepped off the subway. But, flowers were not what I was coming to the market for today! I was in search for sprouts (for me) and apples (for my kids!)

And, I found the holy grail of sprouts and micro-greens,  Windfall Farms from Montgomery, NY. Windfall Farms sells microgreens, sprouts and even organic eggs and is where many of the top chefs go to shop. Ironically enough, Windfall farms is in a green! bus so you can't miss them!

The Windfall Farms Green Bus
And, here are some of the sprouts and greens that they sell. I bought some gorgeous mesclun with some edible flowers, buckwheat and pea sprouts and to use in my salads, sandwiches and smoothies this week! I am literally addicted to sprouts and add then to anything and everything I can. Sprouts are literally baby plants that sprout from seeds and contain all the nutrients needed to grow to maturity and are a true live "superfood" bursting with nutrition and live enzymes.

Greens and Sprouts at Windfall Farms
Microgreens with Flowers

Putting Sprouts in Bags to Go!

Then, it was off to buy the apples! The apples were gorgeous and HUGE!

Here is a picture of one of the apples I bought next to my cell phone (note: it is BIGGER than my blackberry!) I plan to slice this baby up and slather it with almond butter for my son for his after school snack!


I didn't buy them but there was also a great vendor selling mushrooms (by Barnes & Noble)- shitake, oyster, portobello- you name it! I will definitely plan to pick some of those up next time!

Vendor Selling Mushrooms
On my way over to pick up a book at Barnes & Noble, I had to visit the new Andy Warhol statue by Robert Pruitt on the corner of 17th and Broadway! Looking around, it is hard to believe that Warhol's first "Factory" was right here on Union Square! So much history.


I returned home happy with my trip but very cold and very, very wet and a surprise awaited from my Mom. Just what I needed to perk up my day. Dr. Perricone's Cold Plasma, which I have been dying for!!! As a 40 year old mother of two, I am trying to turn back the clock as naturally as I can and this product has been discribed as "gold in a bottle!" Cold Plasma claims it "helps prevent and correct signs of aging and imparts radiant looking skin." Well, it should be considering the cost at $135 but, personally, I can't wait to try it. I will also be testing out the Dr. Alkaitis products so stay tuned!


Eating lots of fresh fruits and vegetables and drinking fresh green juice certainly helps keep us healthy and looking radiant from the inside out but is that enough?

What products do you use? Have you found anything that has worked for you?

After I got over my excitement over my gift, I made lunch. Here is the delicious salad I made with my new sprouts and microgreens. I added avocado, raw pistachios, and a dash of dulse and dressed the salad with olive oil and sea salt. Lunch totally hit the spot. Definately worth the trip!



1 comment:

  1. Those microgreens with flowers are beautiful!

    What a nice surprise from your mom! I'm 26 so I'm not quiiiiite up to using products for "aging skin" (yet), but I *am* a natural skincare product junkie. :) I really like the Dr. Alkaitis line, though it's a little expensive. Evan Healy is another one I like a lot!

    ReplyDelete