What happens when you pair a health-conscious, vegan mother of two who has her own diet business with a husband and children who sometimes have other ideas? This blog is a chronicle of my journey to eat and live in a life-affirming way!

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

No Bake Chocolate Cherry Granola Bars- Girl Scout Cookies Never Had it So Good (or Healthy!)



This week has been an absolutly crazy week with clients, preparations for Easter, my in-laws arrival tomorrow, Grandparents Day at my son's school (where I will be helping out all day!) AND his Science Fair the day after Easter involving dry ice (don't ask!) so when my fellow Girl Scout Brownie Mom's asked me to come up with a cute idea for the kids to make for our next meeting I almost cratered...

The criteria were that they had to be something that would/could be:

1) Easy for the girls to make
2) Made without an oven
3) Made in under 10 minutes
4) Nut-free and healthy (I am taking this to mean sugar-free and wholesome ingredients!)
and
5) A snack the girls would like and actually eat!

Then, I thought, "I've got it!" No problem!" We will make my No Bake Chocolate Cherry Granola Bars!

Step 1: Add equal parts Oatmeal and Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal


Step 2: Add unsweetened applesauce or mashed banana (I used mashed banana) and stir


Step 3: Add honey (I used a whole honey bear.) This is what sticks it together so be liberal about it!!!


Step 4: Add dried cherries (or raisons or cranberries)


Step 5: Add chocolate chips


Then, put them in a fridge to harden for approximately 20-30 minutes. Take out and slice into bars.

If this were not for Brownies and could include nuts a delicious addition to this would be to add almond butter or peanut butter to up the protein ante. But, this being kids and a school function and having nut-allergy kids in the group, this was strictly not allowed!

If I were also making them for myself or my crew, I would also add Sun Warrior Protein Powder in vanilla, perhaps some chia, hemp or pumkin seeds, and maybe even a bit of coconut butter to further up the flavor and the nutritional ante!

No comments:

Post a Comment