What happens when you pair a health-conscious, vegan mother of two who has her own diet business with a husband and children who sometimes have other ideas? This blog is a chronicle of my journey to eat and live in a life-affirming way!

Thursday, April 28, 2011

'Alfredo Pasta' With Mushrooms & Mail Order

Sorry for the dreadful picture but this dish was SOOOO delicious that I ate it before I had time to download the pictures and realize my lighting was off! Trust me- looked like real alfredo and mouthwatering good!

I promised that I would be making more dishes using the dehydrated and sauteed shitake, oyster and chanterelle mushrooms that I made yesterday. And, after a 7 mile run yesterday, I was in the mood for something rich and nutritionally dense- so I made 'Pasta Alfredo with Mushrooms!' This dish is rich and creamy and tastes almost like the 'real' thing but better!

My version uses kelp noodles, which are fat-free, gluten-free and high in iron, iodine and other trace minerals, but you can use any other pasta that you like. And, mushrooms are know to reduce inflammation, boost our immunity, lower cholesterol and high blood pressure and fight off disease!
'Alfredo Pasta' with Mushrooms1/2 avocado
1 cup raw macadamian nuts (pre-soaked)
1 large garlic clove
Juice of one lemon
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup olive oil (or hemp seed oil)
Water (optional to thin)
Kelp noodles (or preferably a gluten-free variety!)
Optional (but delicious!): Dehydrated Garlic Mushrooms

Mix all of the ingredient (except, of course, the noodles) in the food processor until very smooth. Place the mixture on top of the noodles. Sprinkle top with mushrooms and you are done. Truly delicious!

Below are the Kelp Noodles I used. I noticed when I was at the health store that there are also noodles made from tofu by House Foods, which I bought but have yet to try, for al of you out there on gluten-free diets that are tiring of the same old rice noodles. It's nice to mix it up!

If there is any 'Alfredo sauce' left over then save it because it is great to use for dips for crudite, as a spread on sandwiches, a creamy salad dressing, with steamed vegetables on top of rice. or another day later that week for more pasta! I am all for making one dish and using it throughout the week!


My husband for some reason claims not to like raw pastas so asked that I make him Pasta with Sauteed Mushrooms. Just sauteed mushrooms in olive oil, garlic and a hint of sea salt and used a Tinkyada gluten-free rice pasta. He was jealous of mine! "



It felt like Christmas as my shipment from High Vibe arrived today!!!

People are always asking me how I find time to do all that I do and where I get all of my food and staples. The key is to be organize and order ahead. While I do go to the grocery store for fresh produce and other items, I find that mail-ordering items that I want to store in the pantry, as well as items I can't find at the grocery,  works for me! And, High Vibe is top of the list along with Ultimate Superfoods, Sun Organics, and Live-Live.

So, what did I get today?

Macadamian nuts (plan to make a yummy dip later in the week)

Brazil nuts (for a future nut butter and maybe even a raw pudding)

Dried papaya (great for sticking in my purse and having as a healthy snack on the go) 

Raw carrot bread by Rayo de Sol (delicious for an avocado sandwich or with Dr. Cow cheese on top!)

Raw, vegan, gluten-free lemon tart by Hail Merry (OMG, this was sooo delicious my husband and I
devoured it!)

Raw, vegan, gluten-free chocolate tart by Hail Merry (have yet to try but if it is half as delicious as the lemon one then it will be a winner!)  

Raw chocolate brazil nuts and mulberries by Living Intentions (my daughter & I LOVE these!)

Raw white chocolate cashews, almonds and cacao nibs by Living Intentions (it was all I could do not to rip open the bag and eat them before dinner!)

Vita Synergy multi-vitamins for women

Innate probiotics


How do you keep your shopping where it is fun and not a chore? What are your systems?

1 comment: