What happens when you pair a health-conscious, vegan mother of two who has her own diet business with a husband and children who sometimes have other ideas? This blog is a chronicle of my journey to eat and live in a life-affirming way!

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Smoothies- Power Breakfast of Champions!!!

It is Saturday morning and this morning as usual we were juggling a million things trying to get Caroline out for her lacrosse game, Oliver out for his and me out to drive the carpool to the games! All without me wanting to pull my hair out.

On the weekends and during the week sometimes mornings can be hectic so I always send everyone off with something that is nutritious yet easy to make and portable! I send my son, Oliver, off to school with a green smoothie (colored by berries) every morning- and he loves it!

This morning, I made myself a Banana Celery Smoothie and my son and husband a Green Smoothie with mixed berries- yum! I put them in these wonderful clear plastic travel cups we got at Starbuck's and off we went!

Not only are smoothies very easy to make only requiring a blender but they are also very easy to drink, portable, delicious and are bursting with calcium, fiber, protein, magnesium, iron and and live-enzymes, which help aid in digestion and also make our bodies more alkaline! Also, you will get approximately half of your protein requirements for your day (depending on if you are a man or woman), in a green smoothie!

And, not only are these green smoothies nutritious, but they are also delicious! A few months ago I got back from a glorious weekend with my childhood girlfriends and although they were skeptical of my green smoothies at first, by the end of the weekend I had them hooked!

My children and I have green smoothies every morning before we started our busy days filled with work, school, homework, afterschool activities and just life! I tease my children that they have had a salad even before they get to school and I notice much more even keeled behavior. My husband and I also notice that we have such increased natural energy!

Eating a healthy breakfast is paramount to living a healthy lifestyle! Try starting your day with a green smoothie and see how much better you will look and feel! We have purchase the cool clear plastic cups that you can get at Starbucks and a lot of times take ours to go!


Here are some of our favorite family recipes:

Power Me Up Green Smoothie Recipe
3/4 of a blender filled with organic spinach (or locinate kale)
1 1/2 cups of vanilla almond milk 1/2-1 frozen banana
Frozen berries (I add these to my son's to take away the "green-ness")

Optional:
1 tbsp coconut butter
1 tbsp chia seeds (omega 3's)
1 tsp Udo's Oil (omega 3-6-9)
1 tsp maca (for added energy- we all need some more of that!)

Put all of this in the Vitamix and blend! This is my favorite, favorite, favorite morning smoothie! I make a huge batch of green smoothie for myself, husband and daughter then I will add berries to a small portion for my son who is not a fan of green. With or without the berries, though, these green smoothies are delicious!


Celery Banana Smoothie (This is my new current addiction!)
4-6 stalks celery
1 medium frozen banana
1-2 cups vanilla almond milk
Handful of parsley (or spinach)

Blend in your blender and enjoy! This smoothie is so clean and refreshing!


Strawberry Chocolate Delight Smoothie
Box of fresh strawberries (cut up and pre-freeze)
Coconut meat from 1 Thai coconut (save the water to drink after a run or intense workout) Almond or Brazil nut milk
Chocolate nibs (unsweetened)
Optional: 1 tbsp maca, hemp or flax seed oil



Place the strawberries and coconut meat in your blender and pour in approximately 2-3 cups of almond or Brazil nut milk. Blend until smooth. Put the chocolate nibs into the blender and blend for just a second to chop them up a bit but not entirely so that they stay like little chocolate chips. This smoothie is pure delight!


Chocolate Mint Sundae Smoothie
2-3 cups vanilla almond milk
2 tbsp unsweetened chocolate powder (or chocolate greens powder)
1-1 1/2 frozen bananas
Heaping handful of fresh mint



Blend and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment