What happens when you pair a health-conscious, vegan mother of two who has her own diet business with a husband and children who sometimes have other ideas? This blog is a chronicle of my journey to eat and live in a life-affirming way!

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Gluten-free, Raw Vegan Mixed Berry Pancakes

I never thought that I would say this but I am...drum roll please...getting tired of cereal!!! I tend to go in my ruts about foods that I eat everyday and boy was I in a cereal rut for a while. So, today I decided to make my Gluten-free, Raw, Vegan Mixed Berry Pancakes. Don't be fooled- the pancakes were a satisfying size but the blueberries were monsterous so this pic doesn't do them justice!

They are so easy and simple to make as well as nutritious! Here is a picture of the ingredients and the recipe:


Gluten-free, Raw Vegan Mixed Berry Pancakes
2 cups almond meal (I used the leftover pulp from my homemade almond milk)
1 cups grated veggies (I used the leftover pulp from my juice which was carrots, celery, romaine, and cucumber)
1 avocado
1 cup ground flax seeds (to bind)
1/2 cup almond milk
1/4 cup agave nectar (could use maple syrup or raw honey as well)
1/2 cup coconut butter
Frozen blueberries, rasberries and strawberries
Maple Syrup to add on top!!!


Mix all of the above aside from the berries in a food processor until smooth. Place a few handfuls of berries in and run again to mix through but not to grind up too much. Blend in more berries by hand and make into pancake patties on your dehydrator sheet. Decorate with more berries on top.

Here is what they look like at this stage:


Depending on how thick and big you made them, they will take approximately 8-12 hours to dehydrate fully. Check on them after 4 hours and turn over as needed. This time I made mine so fat and juicy that they took 14 so every batch will vary.

When they are done, serve with maple syrup- yum!!!!

These last for approximately 3 days and you can also freeze them for later.

What happens if you dont have a dehydrator?
Don't despair!!! When you are making the dough, you will just want to make sure that you add less almond milk and have it almost be a thick, cookie like consistency that you literally shape into pancake shapes and cook on the stovetop. My smaller crew like it this way!!!

Today is my daughter, Caroline's, Book Fair and it is poooouuuuring down rain in New York City! I am both working it and, of course, walking her through so will indoors at school all day long. What a perfect day to do this. Right now this is her favorite book!

What was your favorite book as a child?


What are your children reading and loving???


Reading is one of my favorite things to do!  Do you love to read?

1 comment:

  1. I looooved to read as a child and it's hard to name a favorite, but I remember my creativity was hugely inspired by James and the Giant Peach and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I read to my daughter and she loves the Erin Hunter books, especially the Seekers series. We're working through the Warriors series right now.

    ReplyDelete