What happens when you pair a health-conscious, vegan mother of two who has her own diet business with a husband and children who sometimes have other ideas? This blog is a chronicle of my journey to eat and live in a life-affirming way!

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Raw, Gluten-Free Vegan Mixed Berry Muffins


Here was my breakfast this morning: a Raw, Gluten-Free Vegan Muffin with Brazil Nut Butter- yum!

I have a thing about wasting and, when I am cooking, I try to use everything. So, what to do with my leftover almond and juice pulp...muffins!!! Whether you juice or not, or make your own almond milk or not, these healthy muffins can be made lickedy split and you can have a whole bunch to eat for breakfast or as a pre- or post-workout snack. Although these say "raw," I will heat my kids up in the oven for a bit and they love them too!

Don't be afraid to be creative! If you have bananas that are turning brown, use those. If you only have spinach but no kale then go with that too. If you love apples, add them in. Experiment and have fun!

Gluten-free, Raw Vegan Mixed Berry Muffins
2 cups almond meal (I used the leftover pulp from my homemade almond milk)
1 cups grated veggies (I used the leftover pulp from my leftover juice that was a carrot green juice)
1 avocado
1 cup ground flax seeds (to bind)
1/4-1/2 cup almond milk (just so mixed together)
1/4 cup agave nectar (could use maple syrup or raw honey as well)
1 heaping tbsp coconut butter (I used Vivapura's Coconut Cream Vanilla)
1 cup frozen blueberries
6-8 strawberries

Leftover pulp

Mix all of the ingredients in a cuisinart aside from the berries until mixture smooth. Below is what the mixture should look like at this point.


Add in and stir the berries by hand.




Place mixture in a muffin pan with liners.



Then, place the tin in the dehydrator.


Depending on how big your muffins are, it can take anywhere from 14-20 hours to dehydrate. I put mine in at 4pm and took them out in the morning to flip over then put them in the dehydrator again for 6 hours.

By the way, if you are looking for more ways to use your pulp, check out Gena's Juice Pulp Cracker's on her always inspiring and informative blog, Choosing Raw!



Or, you could make my Mixed Berry Pancakes!

Get creative and have fun!!!

As a sidenote, ANY of these can be cooked and taste just as good for those of you either with a dehydrator or who do not want to eat them raw!

1 comment:

  1. I made your recipe and my daughter loved it! Thank you! I made a few small changes, but they are great. I linked your blog into my blog post as well. Check it out!
    http://rawtherapy.blogspot.com/2012/01/raw-muffins.html

    ReplyDelete